I really just want to put this mix out here, even though it's not mine. I'm very much in love with the moods that are created in this, and want it to be shared. HGTR did an amazing job of putting this together, both musically and conceptually. I have to say, of all the mixes that I listen to (I download them and listen to them in the car, at night I put them on my iPod and play them, and just sitting at the computer to do anything at all), this one is to me one of the best ones made. The beauty found in some of these songs is unparalleled in my opinion. Have to admit, I'm a bit jealous that I didn't make it myself. But having heard it, I'm glad that it exists. It's not all ambient (most of it's not), but very multi-purpose in that it covers such a range of atmospheres and colors. Oddly, today's my birthday (happy birthday, me!), and the first thing that I did was make some coffee (mocha swirl with coconut cream, my fave), eat some oatmeal, and listen to this!
"And I'm very glad to hear that you think this 'was like a story unfolding, that's exactly what I aimed at and my approach when making these things. Most of the time I don't know what sort of stories is being told - but to me it's more about a sense of a narrative, rather than an actual narrative. Though for 2 of my previous mixes I took the inspiration from books I love and tried to recreate the atmosphere of them through music. 'After Dark', for instance, was directly inspired by the Murakami book of the same name; and I didn't make the connection at the time, but after the mix was finished it suddenly occurred to me how similar it was to the atmosphere of the Twin Peaks series - a very lovely coincidence! I don't know if it's a good thing but 2 years later it still remains the mix I'm most satisfied with. And yes a distinct atmosphere (even though the elements used to create it might be totally different) is another very important aim of mine and also what I'm looking for whenever I listen to something on Mixcloud - so I totally understand when you mentioned 'sleep DJ' and I think you've been doing an excellent job!"
I'm really hoping that HGTR will do some more like this in the future (nudge, nudge). Thanks, HGTR, for this moving piece. You can here the other mixes by HGTR HERE. Enjoy! Peace.
- 00:00 - Múm - Abandoned Ship Bells
- 03:15 - Devics - Lost at Sea
- 05:05 - The White Birch - Atlantis
- 09:07 - Fovea Hex - Every Evening
- 13:01 - Lanterns on the Lake - Ships In The Rain
- 14:50 - Yann Tiersen - The Gutter
- 18:17 - King Creosote & Jon Hopkins - John Taylor's Month Away
- 24:12 - Jónsi & Alex - Daniell In The Sea
- 30:19 - Colleen - The Happy Sea
- 32:44 - Hua-lampong Riddim & Smallroom - Dangerous Tranquillity
- 38:12 - Phaedra - The Sea
- 45:21 - Talvihorros - ..And Then They Walked into the Sea
- 49:35 - Patti Smith & Kevin Shields - The Coral Sea (Performance I - Part VI)
- 57:16 - Lanterns on the Lake - Not Going Back To The Harbour