Sunday, September 15, 2013

guest mix: junkyard angel (part II)

I know that I've already had JUNKYARD ANGEL recently guest on a mix, but this one to me is a real mind blowing epic. I'm really drawn in by the theme of it, and the subtle blend of each approaching color. I grew up on the coast, and visiting the oceans is nowhere near the same as growing up there. There is a sense of comfort for the soul that lives there, and in my opinion, this mix by Junkyard Angel captures the peaceful and beautiful vibe with an extreme accuracy.

We've conversed about the importance of the ocean in our lives, and it has equal impact upon us. The waters can be unforgiving for those who seek to conquer it, but offer solace for those who respect it. Perhaps Junkyard Angel can put his thoughts into words best:

'For me, going to the coast can be a calming and cleansing experience, seeing the vast sea plateauing out to infinity seems to dissolve the myriad of problems stacked up within, feeling them fizz away with the tide into the depths beyond, another drop in the ocean. When I was very young, I had a crystal set radio complete with army type field headphones (no Dr Dre style in them days) installed next to my bed. At night I would try and tune into something contemporary but more often than not I would stumble upon foreign radio broadcasts or better still the shipping forecast on BBC Radio 4; the strange array of words in English didn't make much sense but intrigued me nonetheless. On some occasions the forecast would oscillate wildly distorting the voice, melding into an aural seascape of vaporised language inducing a raft like slumber.'

I couldn't have put that better. Visit Junkyard Angel's Mixcloud page HERE, and download some of his original compositions HERE. One day, JA, we're gonna get the chance to do some night fishing together, mark my words! Turn on, tune in, sleep...






[DOWNLOAD COASTAL MEMORIES]

TRACK LISTING
  • Last Seaweed Collecting Hut At Freshwater West Part 1 Angle - Stylus
  • A Second Sailing - Docetism
  • Seaside - Arovane
  • Surface From The Groundless Ocean - Krill Minima
  • Take My Hand And Come With Me - Lahto
  • The Rivers Turned To Cobblestones - Library Tapes
  • And The Rain Embraced Our Closing - Language Of Landscape
  • Bay - Mountains
  • Along The Way - Loren Connors
  • They Leave Everything Behind - Johann Johannsson
  • Salt Photographs - Brambles
  • Sleepy Crayfish - Mwvm
  • Realization At Dusk - Hakobune
  • On The Coast - Marsh And May
  • La Dolce Vita - Fellini

No comments: