Saturday, January 25, 2014

guest mix: jon lloyd


I've been a regular follower of JON LLOYD on Mixcloud, getting turned on by (of all things) his mix LIVED IN BARS which is a great outing. His mix THE TEXTURE OF SOUND is another that I highly recommend (you can see my comments on the mix). Jon's a consummate listener of all kinds of music, and shares his thoughts about what really vibes him when he hears it. He's managing to create mixes from whatever draws him in next, and isn't limited to a certain genre or flavor-of-the-month in favor of his own interest or intuition. I enjoy the comments that he leaves (not only for myself, but for others) as it's always evident that he dug way deep into the particular piece to really have the music exist firmly within himself. Inspirational, to say the least. I asked him if I could host a mix, and he obliged (much thanks, man!). For this particular episode, I bring you a different sort of mix that compiles a very good feeling array of positive vibe entitled ANOTHER DAY DRIFTS AWAY. This is not a mix for the sleepers (sorry!), but for the active listening participants. For me, this mix is essential headphone listening that provided me with a very good spiritual lift. While it's not so much ambient, it is an offering that gets your head right and puts you in a better place. If music were medicine (and not just therapy), Jon just filled our prescription correctly.



I asked Jon to shed some light on the how and why. Here's what he had to say:

"I've been making mixes since I could press the 'record' button. First on cassette, then on CD, and more recently for Mixcloud. A few years ago I became obsessed with making the perfect 'sleep mix', and would only be satisfied once I knew for a fact that I'd fallen asleep each night before hearing the final track. Like tonepoet perhaps, 'I'd like to teach the world to sleep'.

This mix isn't a sleep mix, more a comptemplative  'end-of-day' collection. I created it for New Year's Day 2014 and just about managed to finish it that day. I think the track by This Mortal Coil is my favourite on there; amazing lyrics, and music surging with emotion, nostalgia, a tinge of sadness but also hope. The first track, though, is also a bit of a killer. I once saw Michael Brook play in a church and it was amazing. His effects pedal 'wall' almost reached the ceiling. An incredible sound. Thanks very much to tonepoet for hosting this mix. I really have gained a lot of inspiration from his mixes and continue to do so (**thanks, bro, sniff sniff**)."

And so I bring you an enlightening amalgamation of really great music to lift us up. The first sunny, bright, warm day will definitely have this written all over it, but I encourage you to allow it to bring you out of the winter doldrums as well. Jon urges you to visit the amazing art of JEANNIE LYNN PASKE'S OBSOLETE WORLD. He has used a couple of the artist's images for his mix and they are the perfect match for his themes. Pay a visit and show the love. Check out more mixes from the diverse ears of JON LLOYD. Again, thanks, Jon!! Peace.




TRACK LISTING

  • 0:00 - 'Baramund' by Michael Brook
  • 02:09 - 'The Yellow Hammer' by Tim & Sam's Band
  • 06:24 - 'Undone' by Message To Bears
  • 09:01 - 'Fiction' by Belle & Sebastian
  • 11:28 - 'Fragile, Do Not Drop' by Podington Bear
  • 15:40 - 'Passing By' by Ulrich Schnauss
  • 22:05 - 'Celebration' by Manual
  • 30:44 - 'Metamorphis' by Trentemoller
  • 32:45 - 'Dawn' by Unknown Mortal Orchestra
  • 33:52 - 'Sit In Silent Thought' by Rothko
  • 39:00 - 'My Father' by This Mortal Coil
  • 44:35 - 'A Snowflake' by Peter Broderick
  • 48:00 - 'The Names Of Those Never Here' by Robin Guthrie & Harold Budd
  • 51:45 - 'Autumn Music II' by Max Richter
  • 55:32 - 'Verdi Cries' by 10,000 Maniacs
  • 59:48 - 'Happy Accidents' by Vessels
  • 64:24 - 'Mr. Tom' by Patrick Watson
  • 67:00 - 'Let's Be Still' by Yo La Tengo
  • 77:45 - 'Ritual' by North Atlantic Oscillation

No comments: