Monday, January 27, 2014

camping under the stars


I've been into the BANDCAMP site for a relatively short while now, and I have to give the site a lot of credit if helping me find some great independent artists. Bandcamp is very instrumental in giving these artists a place to market their original music, and this has become a very valuable asset to those that praise independent musicians (that's me!). The creation of the DIY musician as producer/label/market is a product borne of the music industry's greed, and that benefits us in that we are awarded creations that the music industry would rather ignore. Their loss, our gain......

I've created this amalgamation from artists' music who I've gotten from Bandcamp (one caveat; the Phillip Wilkerson tune I got from Earth Mantra, but I absolutely love the tune and decided to slip it in this mix! I own quite a few from Phillip both by way of Bandcamp as well as Earth Mantra), and their sounds speak loud volumes. This is no means a complete list, just a current list of what I've found so far that has appealed to me. Trust me, I have not even heard a fraction of the unreal music that can be found there. It's quite the event to check back often and see beautiful sounds piling up in the queue. There are certain things that stick out for some reason to me and that comprises what's here. This mix, to me, was one of my favorites to make, as I'm standing on the shoulders of those who have created some masterpieces that really move me. Truly inspiring.


I have to give a shout out to 2 sources that I use when finding new music on Bandcamp. One is AMBIENT SLEEPING PILL, which is an indispensable resource for ambient music that is just barely over one year old (Happy Birthday, Mr. Klimek!). I've discovered many new artists there. The other is the listener BRIAN BOURASSA, whose Bandcamp profile spurs me on to check out new art quite often. I admire (and envy) Brian's massive accumulation of music and the honest critiques that he writes. He's been a consistent go-to guy for getting some good suggestions (Brian, I could have used input from you on this one, let's talk for the next one!). 

You can view my ever so humble collection HERE. The artists' names in the track listing below are a linked gateway to the release that I got the songs from. If there is just one a way to show support for independent artists, this is definitely it. You can get so much music for free, but supporting them is not only karma (as well as added to your collection so that listeners can see those artists you feel strongly about) but also very inspiring for the artists to create more. Peace.








TRACK LISTING

  • "Trapped Between The Earth And The Stars" by BAOBAB from …With No End In Sight – A Wood Thrush Compilation (Start Time: 0:00)
  • "Tumblatlas" by YLOWKNFE from = (Start Time: 01:40)
  • "Starlight" by RUDY ADRIAN from Desert Realms (Start Time: 07:02)
  • "Low Earth Orbit" by GRAINS OF SOUND from Sine Language Vol 3 Under (Start Time: 15:24)
  • "Messier82" by DREAMHUB from Moments In Space (Start Time: 22:31)
  • "Prelude To Mind Control" by TONEPOET from So Gently We Go (Start Time: 26:03)
  • "Equations" by Phillip Wilkerson from The Way Home (Start Time: 34:30)
  • "Places Between" by RHIAN SHEEHAN from Seven Tales Of The North Wind (Start Time: 38:27)
  • "A Cabin" by BUBBLE from + (Start Time: 42:32)
  • "The Way In To The Way Out (In Mix) (Excerpt)" by GRAINS OF SOUND from Sine Language Vol 2 Down (Start Time: 48:19)
  • "Elision" by NEED A NAME from 2013 Collection (Start Time: 54:33)
  • "Antler (Reprise)" by YLOWKNFE from = (Start Time: 57:52)

No comments: