Thursday, September 10, 2015

guest mix: chasing sleep

It's not often (enough) that I get gifted with exclusive mixes that come from individual DJ's that seem to catch wind of Spaceman's Transmissions and honor this site by desiring to be a part of the ambient family. CHASING SLEEP (Scott Nyce) is actually one of those rare few, and I'm extremely blown away by the set that he sent in. I actually got my first full listen on a bike ride in July and actually got goosebumps about 6 miles into the ride (didn't realize that this was possible, given that it was close to 100 degrees outside). Now that's an indication of a killer set. While I'm not always about publishing beats (with the exception of a few that bring it in nicely, such as FACTION), Scott balances the beat with the beatless and his ability to glue his elements together create a gravity that is as intense as it is beautiful. He is able to still keep alternating profiles active: as a dance/bass music DJ (Headunit), one of more ambient/minimal/experimental structure (Chasing Sleep), and as Scott Nyce when DJ'ing sets. Such a mix like this can only come from a chameleon-like DJ that strives to be prolific in all things musical and whose accomplishments are monumental. That said, it is indeed Scott who manages to bring his depth of experience into presenting this unreal set of sounds to your ears. Here's what Scott had to say (I chose to do very little editing as his story is a fascinating read!): 


'As a DJ, I have been spinning Drum and Bass since 1997 and have been throwing parties since 1998. I have been actively supporting all sorts of musical events since around 1995. I've been experimenting in music production and engineering since around the early part of 2000. When I'm producing, I usually use different monikers. Headunit (which at one point was dance/bass music related), Chasing Sleep (for the ambient/minimal/experimental side of things), and Jump Static (strictly Drum And Bass material). When I'm out doing DJ sets, it's just Scott Nyce. I suppose I've been heavily involved in all things "underground and obscure" since I was a young boy, especially when it came to music. Between the ages of 12 and 14, I was promoting for metal/death metal shows both local, and across the tri-state area. I think I discovered electronic music shortly before turning 15, and for the next 2 years I quietly jumped from party to party, "trainspotting" DJ's and observing rave culture, becoming more and more saturated in electronic music as each day passed. At the age of 16, I discovered the early sounds of breakbeat hardcore; the earliest form of Drum And Bass/Jungle. Even by then it had already evolved. At the age of 17, I decided to buy a pair of turntables to learn how to spin. It wasn't long after that I decided to start throwing my own local parties. I guess it wasn't more than a year and a half later that I started getting booked to spin drum and bass at shows all over the tri-state area and even Canada, opening and performing next to artists such as Ray Keith, Dj SS, Dieselboy, Storm(UK), among quite a few others I would've have never expected. In the early part of 2000, I bought a bit of studio gear and started to "dabble" everything from various genres dance music, to ambient and score work. As a DJ, it's been nice to have the privilege to meet so many different people and play events both big and small. Over the years I've done everything from house parties and rental halls, to beaches, parking garages and major music and arts festivals. Nowadays I think music is a lot more personal for me....but we'll see I guess. I mean outside of being a Dad, I really don't do anything else with my spare time for the most part.

The music I produce under the Chasing Sleep moniker started as a way for me to express certain personal struggles through music but without using conventional formulas or boundaries. Most of my ideas as Chasing Sleep come to me in the deep middle of the night, often while fading in and out of Hypnagogia. As difficult as it so often is for me to get a full night's sleep, I have come learn that ambient music can provide some of the best medicine for insomnia. I started listening to ambient/minimal/drone music at bedtime about 12 years ago, and I haven't went a single night without it since regardless of whether I sleep or not.. Even if I'm away from home, I find a way to make sure it's on. My young son has even become so accustomed to it in my home at bedtime that even he asks for certain pieces of music.
'

For Chasing Sleep, his mix is the final finished product of an ongoing personal experiment in more obscure and experimental music. The music contained within this mix, as well as the mix itself, are a personal reflection of what it often feels like when fading between one dream and the next as he so often struggles with sleep. Check out more musical creations from Scott Nyce's many profiles on his SOUNDCLOUD page, or stream from his MIXCRATE page and MIXCLOUD page. Feel free to kick back, fade out and enjoy. Catch updates from Chasing Sleep via his  FACEBOOK page. 

Turn on, tune in, have mind blown...






TRACK LISTING
  • 'One Spark(Intro)' by Chasing Sleep (Start Time: 00:00)
  • 'The Residual Echoes Of Misdirection' by Chasing Sleep (Start Time: 40:48)
  • 'Across The Divide' by Beyond Sensory Experience  (Start Time: 05:57)
  • 'Daphnis 26' by Biosphere (Start Time: 07:29)
  • 'Endorphin' by Burial (Start Time: 11:24)
  • 'Sheperdess' by Jukeen (Start Time: 13:03)
  • ('FX' by Black Sabbath [Insert: 13:47 - 15:09])
  • 'D.M. Treasures' by Chasing Sleep (Start Time: 19:16)
  • 'Inner Sanctum' by Sabled Sun (Start Time: 20:54)
  • 'Betrayal At Twilight' by Har & Altus (Start Time: 23:12)
  • ('Deposits Vesen' by Elegi [Insert: 26:05 - 27:20])
  • 'Synergistic Perceptions' by Robert Rich & Brian Lustmord (Start Time: 28:48)
  • 'Return To Serenity' (Chasing Sleep 800x Edit) by Chasing Sleep vs Testament (Start Time 29:50)
  • 'Abandoned' by Sabled Sun (Start Time 33:23)
  • 'Mono Drone' by Primigenial Bug (Start Time: 37:10)
  • 'I Cant Do This Alone' by Halftribe (Start Time: 39:00)
  • '10,000 ft And A Watertower' by Darwin Raymond (Start Time: 40:31)
  • 'As The Sun Begins to Awake' by Tonepoet (Start Time: 43:03)
  • 'Harlen And The Radio' by Heidi Harris (Start Time: 46:05)
  • '2nd Field' by Biosphere (Start Time 48:31)
  • 'Bellero Shield' by Skincage (Start Time 50:31)
  • 'Frivolous' by Chasing Sleep (Start Time 54:15)
  • 'Telepath' by Boards Of Canada (Start Time: 57:13)
  • 'Date Expired' by Sabled Sun (Start Time: 58:26)
  • 'The Letter Back' by Donyeq (Start Time: 60:44)
  • 'Inner Refuge (Chasing Sleep Remix)' by Conelrad (Start Time: 64:19)
  • 'With A Whisper It's Gone' by Tonepoet (Start Time: 67:57)
  • 'Japanese Morning' by Nirgoona Project (Start Time: 70:14)
  • 'Error Method' by D-Fried (Start Time: 73:40)
  • 'Waking Up To No One' by Geoff Gersh (Start Time: 76:32)
  • 'Lead Lined' by Conelrad (Start Time: 79:42)
  • 'First' by Clouds In My Home (Start Time: 82:04)
  • 'Adaption' by Bloomer White (Start Time: 86:54)
  • 'Memory Lane' by Rob Cosh (Start Time: 89:10)
  • 'Moon' by Halo XVI (Start Time: 91:47)
  • 'White Lightning' by The Higher Intelligence Agency & Biosphere (Start Time: 95:17)
  • '263 Lata' by Mikrodepresja (Start Time: 99:26)

No comments: